Long-Range Plan of Service
The mission of the Westhampton Free Library is to serve the community; cultivate knowledge; promote curiosity; and inspire lifelong learning. We serve the communities of Westhampton Beach, Westhampton, East Moriches, Eastport, South Manor, East Quogue, Quiogue, Remsenburg, and Speonk.
- Foster an atmosphere of life-long learning for all, encourage a love of reading (regardless of format) in children, young adults, adults and provide and promote opportunities for personal development at all levels. Celebrate learning of every kind.
- Continually listen to the community, identify its unique personality and tailor collection and program offerings to their distinctive needs/wants. In particular, be aware of changes in the composition of the population and new trends as they become visible. In the year preceding the expiration of each Long Range Plan, offer an opportunity for the community to contribute their thoughts and ideas to the process through comment cards and a survey.
- In collection and program offerings, take into consideration the broad spectrum of our constituency. Make every effort to draw our entire diverse community into making use of the Library facility as a community center. Ensure a safe and clean environment.
- Strike a balance in offering traditional Library service for those who wish while at the same time constantly updating technology and electronic resources to better serve our patrons. Provide as many opportunities for staff enrichment, particularly in new technologies, as possible.
- Collect, preserve and provide local information, current and historical.
- In light of economic challenges and the “tax cap,” seek to maintain or increase our services to the community. Strive for moderation combined with excellence, practice economies where possible and resist the ephemeral in favor of substance. Investigate any area of cost savings.
- Evaluate possibilities for the attic space.
- Use the State of the Library Report by the Director as a tool for evaluation, assessment and goal setting annually.